Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Stamps

I purchased some stamps today at the PO, I thought I might share them with you.

Ah, jury duty. Where else can red-orange, dark teal, orange, royal blue, chartreuse, indigo, mint green, burnt umber, radiating orchid, brown, violet, and green people all be bored together for anywhere from a few hours to eight million years?
I feel like this is a message we should all remember, what better way to say it than sticking it to every letter you send out?

Other than me, though, who else on earth would ever want to purchase this stamp, except perhaps out of jest? There aren't professional jurors, right? Maybe this is the sort of thing you buy if you were a member of a particularly note-worthy case, like OJ. On the other hand, I would just get the O.J. stamp.


I immediately purchased this stamp when I saw it.
You're probably thinking to yourself, "self, why is there a picture of a white man on a black heritage stamp?" I asked that same question myself. However, if you weren't so ignorant, you would know that Charles Chesnutt (born 1858, died 1932) was an essayist and political activist. While Chesnutt may look white, he was actually of mixed race. This became an important influence during his writing. While some may argue that some of his work resmembles that of Joel Chandler Harris, I feel that it differs significantly, due to the criticisms of slavery. Other scholars have argued that his work is an example of American realism, probably thanks to his formal and often emotionless writing style.
Why can't they make cool stamps?

No comments: